The report-back on the alleged R35-million ‘maladministration’ loss at the former Ezinqoleni Municipality has been delayed yet again.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN : Probe begins into R35-million missing in municipal merger
Last year, Ray Nkonyeni Municipality asked Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs MEC Nomusa Dube-Ncube to find out what had really happened to the money after Ezinqoleni officials had failed to provide supporting documentation to back up the expenditure.
Council had also late last year asked its Municipal Public Accounts Committee (MPAC) to conduct internal investigations and provide feedback on the missing money.
After some MPAC councillors had apparently received death threats and heated debates had taken place on whether or not video footage of projects on which the money was reportedly spent should be released, the report was postponed to the end of February.
Now municipal manager Max Mbili told reporters during a press briefing held at the municipality on Tuesday this week that the report would be made available at the next council meeting, scheduled to take place in March.
“Document analysis and interviews have been done and concluded, however the most important process of the investigation, which is project verification, is still under way,” he said.
Mr Mbili added that the MPAC had visited almost all the projects under scrutiny but had not yet made a determination in terms of value for money.
“Once the report has been tabled to council the public will be informed of the outcome since this involves public funds,” said Mr Mbili.
HAVE YOUR SAY
For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033