Clean water gushes unchecked in Ramsgate for two weeks

Ugu failed to respond to this water leak for almost two weeks.

LACK of response from Ugu District municipality’s water services technicians is believed to have resulted in clean, fresh water being wasted in Ramsgate.

According to residents in the area, a leak at lot 667  Alford Road had been reported almost two weeks ago but no technicians had arrived to fix it.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN : Clean water is wasted as Ramsgate resident claims Ugu fails to respond to leak

This is not the first time the area has had a water leak problem. Last year the leak became so severe it resulted in a number of water interruptions in the area.

Residents claim they had contacted the Ugu call centre and reported it but no one responded.

“It’s quite worrying that, when the South Coast is faced with various water challenges, someone at Ugu was not doing their job,” said one resident.

The leak has since become worse, despite promises made by Ugu to the Herald to repair it.

Clean, fresh water is wasted in Alford Road Ramsgate.

On Wednesday morning, an Ugu vehicle drove past the highly visible leak on the side of the road, without stopping to investigate what the problem was.

Spokesman France Zama said Ugu did not have the customer’s complaint on their call centre records, which meant it had not been reported.

“It is the first time this has come to the attention of the municipality through your media house. On receiving this query, technicians were activated and repairs of this leak will be conducted and completed before the end of business today.”

Mr Zama urged customers to report service faults pertaining to water and sanitation services to their facebook page; ‘Ugu Municipality Talk’ or contact its call centre at 08000 92837 or 039 688 5830/36 or sms to 44751.


Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033

Zimasa Mgwili

Latest News


Recommended Story x
UPDATE: Margate beach open – lagoon remains closed