UPDATE: Ryan Davy released on $10 bail for illegally attempting to summit Everest

Ryan Sean Davy.

UPDATE, May 24:

RYAN Sean Davy, the former Scottburgh local who attempted to summit Everest without a permit has been released on  Rs 1 000 (Rupees) bail and explained to the Kathmandu Post that that is all that he had in his pocket.

Rs 1 000 equates to just around 10 US Dollars.

Mr Davy added that he had no prior mountaineering experience and that he could not afford the fee required to obtain the climbing permit but that he wanted to summit Everest and document the process through the means of a book and film.

Charges relating to his attempt at a summit of Everest have not been scrapped as yet and he still faces the R300 000 fine.

Speaking to AFP Director General of the country’s Department of Tourism, Dinesh Bhattarai said that: “The decision against him is in process but once the government decides the fine amount, he can pay and collect his passport. We are looking at the laws to decide on action against him if he fails to pay.”

Mr Davy has however explained that he cannot afford the fine.

According to the Kathmandu Post, Mr Davy explained that upon completing his summit of Everest his intent was to cross to the Tibet side of the mountain which would have also gotten him in trouble with Chinese authorities.

UPDATE, May 18:

MOUNTAIN climbers worldwide are furious with Ryan Davy – South African climbers especially – after he recently attempted to summit Mount Everest illegally.

The surprising part was the fact that Mr Davy admitted to knowing that what he was doing was illegal but explained that he did so because he felt that turning around would be ’embarrassing’.

When the law finally caught up with Mr Davy he took to social media to explain the reasons behind his actions.

“My main incentive for being on the mountain was to help anyone who might have been in trouble since every year there are so many fatalities. In one incident 40 climbers walked right past a dying man who was pleading for help. He died because all the climbers were fixed on reaching the summit and didn’t want to get distracted. If I could at least have helped one person it would have made a difference, that would have been my summit,” he explained.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Tent Travels: A saunter up Sani

Mr Davy is now possibly facing a fine of up to R300 000 and may also be banned from Nepal.

Supporters have since registered a crowd funding page under the name ‘Bring Ryan Home’ in an effort to raise funds, despite his request that nobody assists him with the costs.

Some are annoyed: “He has just made South African mountaineers look like a bunch of idiots,” said local climber Kevin Lancaster.

Others have however commended Mr Davy on his effort. “You are a legend,” wrote Omar Elm on Mr Davy’s Facebook page.

Despite opinion being divided, Mr Davy has decided to face the consequences and opted to turn himself in.

He arrived in Kathmandu earlier this week where he is expected to ‘face the music’ in whatever form it comes.


FORMER Scottburgh resident Ryan Sean Davy was fined R300 000… for trying to climb Mount Everest without a permit. Mr Davy (42) told the Mail it was his greatest dream – now dashed by red tape.

He was ordered off the mountain and had his passport confiscated. Mr Davy had obtained a trekker’s information management system card on March 19 from the Nepalese Tourism Board, but not a climbing permit, which he needed in order to attempt summiting Everest legally.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Terror for Berg hikers

According to the Director General of the country’s Department of Tourism, Dinesh Bhattarai, Mr Davy managed to head for Everest without being granted a climbing permit from the DoT.

Speaking to his followers on his Facebook page, Mr Davy said: “I am going to be honest in saying that, when I arrived at Base Camp, it became evident that I didn’t have nearly enough money for a solo permit because of hidden costs and, even if I did, they would have declined it because I had no previous mountaineering experience on record.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Brave South Coasters conquer 5 642m mountain

“I was ashamed that I couldn’t afford the permit after all the help, preparation and what everybody had done for me during my training, it would have been a total embarrassment to turn around and accept defeat because of a piece of paper.”

He added that he chose to spend more money – the little he had left – on additional gear to climb and practice on the surrounding peaks in preparation of a ‘stealth entry’ onto Everest.

Foreigners who go to summit Everest do so at a cost of R150 000, just for permission to climb the 8 848m peak. The funds are paid to the Nepalese government.

TRENDING: Avalanche in French Alps leaves three dead

According to a report, government liaison officer Gyanendra Shresth spotted Mr Davy on his own and, when he approached him, Mr Davy ran. Mr Shresth and a friend chased Mr Davy and found him hiding in a nearby cave, where he had apparently set up camp to avoid detection by government officials.

Mr Davy is now facing the possibility of a five-year ban from Nepal or a 10-year ban on mountain climbing in Nepal.

The disappointed man added that he was treated like a murderer and harassed at Base Camp. “A true testimony of how money has become more important than decency,” he said.

Mr Davey might now be held in custody until the R300 000 fine has been paid.


Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033

Juan Venter

Latest News


Recommended Story x
UPDATE: Man who died in boat accident was from the UK