UPDATE: ‘Easter miracle’ baby found alive after being buried for three days – mother charged

Port Shepstone Regional Hospital.


PADDOCK’S miracle baby boy is showing signs of improvement.

On Wednesday this week the 25-year-old mother appeared in the Izingolweni Court.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Child Welfare cares for the most vulnerable

According to police spokesman, Captain Gerald Mfeka the mother was released from court with a warning. He could not confirm when her next appearance would be.

According to Port Shepstone Regional Hospital spokesman, Phumza Morai, the baby is still is hospital. “He has improved and is recovering well,” she said.

The little boy has not yet been named but when his grandmother visited yesterday (Thursday), she called him ‘Umzukulu’, meaning my grandchild.

The mother was charged with child abandonment. The case is being investigated by the Port Shepstone Family Violence, child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit (FCS).

Two community members at a timber farm in Paddock help remove the newborn baby boy from a shallow grave last Thursday.



SHOCKING images have emerged showing how a newborn baby boy was rescued from a shallow grave at a farm in Paddock last Thursday.

The 25-year-old mother, originally from Izingolweni, had left the infant among some timber, covered with sand, at her workplace after she had given birth last Tuesday.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Baby found abandoned in bush at Murchison

Police spokesman, Captain Gerald Mfeka said staff at the timber factory where the mother is employed heard a baby crying on Thursday.

“They searched and found him hidden underneath some timbers, covered in sand. On hearing the commotion, the mother confessed that the child was hers. Her explanation was that she was afraid of her parents. This was her second child, the elder one being four years old, and she felt her parents would not approve of another baby,” said Captain Mfeka.

The baby was taken to Port Shepstone Regional Hospital where he was admitted to ICU. The mother was also taken to hospital and was released on Monday this week.

She appeared in the Izingolweni court yesterday (Wednesday) where she was charged with child abandonment. The case was postponed for further investigation.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGE: Foetus found at ‘The Block’ in Port Shepstone

Port Shepstone Regional Hospital spokesman, Phumza Morai, said yesterday that hospital staff and doctors had stabilised the baby. “He is now in a stable condition but is still receiving treatment,” said Ms Morai.

“Children continue to be abused, neglected and abandoned in alarming numbers on the South Coast and everyone needs to stand together to solve the problem,” said Sagree Naicker, manager of Child Welfare, Port Shepstone.

She called on parents who are vulnerable, especially during pregnancy, to come to the Child Welfare offices and explain their situation rather than abandoning their newborn children. Port Shepstone Child Welfare can be contacted at 039 6820073/4.


Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033

Sugan Naidoo

Latest News


Recommended Story x
Baby dies after being assaulted by mother