‘Negligence’ claimed to have led to child drowning

Photo: Pixabay

IN what has been described as ‘severe negligence’ by maintenance staff at the Scottburgh main beach tidal pool, an eight-year-old boy drowned after allegedly being sucked into an outflow pipe during a routine maintenance operation at the pool on Tuesday, January 3.

“It is claimed that the boy, who lives in Malangeni, had gone to the Scottburgh beach with relatives. At some point during during the day his mother, who works and stays in Umzinto, arrived at the beach to join her relatives. She became concerned when she did not find her son, Alwande, with them,” said Scottburgh SAPS communications officer, Captain Vincent Pandarum.

Following a search for the child, the mother’s worst fears were realised when her son was discovered stuck in the  drainage outlet of the tidal pool.

Alwande’s body was removed from the outflow pipe by a lifeguard who had been alerted to the incident by the child’s uncle, Nhlakanipho Shozi.

Paramedics were unable to resuscitate the child and he was subsequently pronounced dead at the scene. Claims are that the child was left unattended at the adult tidal pool.


An inquest docket has been registered by Scottburgh SAPS   and Sergeant Joel Singo is to investigate the circumstances leading to the drowning.

Umdoni Municipality was asked to comment on the matter as the pool outflow pipe grid had, according to a source, not been replaced during the previous maintenance operation.

There were also apparently no signs prohibiting bathing during the draining of the pool.


Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033

Vanisha Moodley

Latest News


Next Story x
Family fun planned for Wild Coast MTB race